Verb + at
Look/have a look/stare/ glance at
: nhìn vào/nhìn chắm chằm vào
- why are you looking at me like that?
:cười vào ai
- Everyone will laugh at my haircut.
Aim/point (something) at
.: nhằm vào, chỉ vào
- Dont point that knife at me. Its dangerous.
Verb + to:
Talk/speak to (someone)
: nói với ai
- Can I speak to Jane, please?
- We spent the evening listening to music.
Invite (somebody) to (a party/a wedding)
- They only invited a few people to their wedding.
Explain something to somebody
: giải thích điều gì cho ai
- Can you explain this word to me?
xảy đến với ai/cái gì
- What happened to that gold watch you used to have?
Prefer one thing to another: thích cái gì hơn cái gì
- I prefer tea to coffee.
Shout at somebody
(khi giận dữ)
- She got very angry and started shouting at me.
Shout to sonebody
(để cho người khác có thể nghe)
- She shouted to me from the other side of the street.
Throw something at somebody/something (đánh, đập ai/cái gì)
- Somebody threw an egg at the minister.
Throw something to somebody (để cho ai bắt lấy)
- Judy shouted catch and threw the key to me from the window.
Ask somebody for something: xin ai cái gì
- He asked me for money.
Ask somebody to do something..yêu cầu ai àm gì
- He asked me to post the letter for him.
Verb + about
Talk about/ read about/ tell somebody about
/have a discussion about
- We talked about a lot of things at the meeting.
Chú ý: discuss something (không có giới từ)
Care about something/something
- Hes selfish. He doesnt care about other people.
Verb + for
Apply for (a job)
- I think this job would suit you. Why dont you apply for it?
- Dont wait for me. Ill join you later.
Search (a person/aplac/a thing) for
- Ive searched (the house) for the key but I still cant find it.
Leave (a place) for another place.:
- I havent seen her since she left for work this morning.
Look for: tìm kiếm
- Ive lost my keys. Can you help me to look for them?
Verb + about, of
- I dream about you last night.
Dream of being something/doing something (=imagine):
- I often dream of being rich.
(được nói cho biết về
- Did you hear about the fight in the club on Saturday night?
Hear of.. (biết rằng ai đó/cái gì còn tồn tại)
- Who is Tom madely? - Ive no idea. Ive never heard of him.
(nhận được thư hoặc điện thoại của ai)
- Have you heard from Jane recently?
Remind somebody of
- This house reminds me of the one I lived in when I was a child.
Complain (to somebody) about
- We complained to the manager of the restaurant about the food.
Verb + of
Accuse somebody of
buộc tội ai
- Sue accused me of being selfish.
- His parents dont approve of what he does, but they cant stop him
- What did he die of? - A heart attack
- My house consists of six rooms.
Verb + for
Pay (somebody) for something
- I didnt have enough money to pay for the meal.
Nhưng pay the bill/a fine/a tax/fare/ rent
Thank/forgive somebody for
- Ill never forgive them for what they did.
Apologise (to somebody) for
- I apologised (to them) for my mistakes.
Blame somebody/something for
/blame something on somebody
- Everybody blamed me for the accident/ blamed the accident on me.
Verb + from
Suffer from (an illness)
- The number of people suffering from heart disease has increased.
Protect someone/something from (or against)
.bảo vệ ai/cái gì khỏi cái gì
- Sun oil can protect the skin from the sun (or against the sun)
Verb + on
Depend on/rely on
.phụ thuộc vào
- You can rely on Jill. She always keeps her promises.
- What time will you arrive? - I dont know. It depends on the traffic.
Live on (money/food):
- Georges salry is verry low. It isnt enough to live on.
Congratulate (someone) on
: chúc mừng ai về việc gì
- I congratulated her on her success in the exam.
- Dont look out the window. Concentrate on your work.
: khăng khăng làm gì
- I wanted to go alone but they insisted on coming with me.
Spend (money) on
: tiêu tiền cho cái gì, việc gì
- How much money do you spend on food each week.
Verb + in
: tin vào
- Do you believe in God?
- Helen is a lawyer. She specialises in company law.
- I hope you succeed in finding the job you want.
Verb + into
: đột nhập
- Our house was broken into a few days ago but nothing was stolen.
- He lost control of the car and crashed into the wall.
Divide/split something into
- The book is divided into 3 parts.
Translate (a book
) (from one language) into the other.
- George Orwells book have been translated into many languages.
Verb + with
.: đâm vào, va chạm
- There was an accident this morning. A bus collided with a car.
Fill something with
- Take this saucepan and fill it with water.
Provide/supply somebody with
- The school provides all its students with books.
Bài tập: Điền giới từ thích hợp để hoàn thành câu (nếu cần thiết).
1. Im not going out yet. Im waiting
..the rain to stop.
2. You are always asking me
the money. Ask somebody else for a change.
3. Ive applied
..the job at the factory. I dont know if Ill get it.
4. I dont want to discuss
what happened last night.
5. We had an interesting discussion
.the problem but we didnt reach a decision.
6. Hes selfish. He doesnt care
7. Please let me borrow your camera. I promise Ill take good care
8. I looked
.my key but I couldnt find them anywhere.
9. I love this music. It reminds me
.a warm day in spring.
10. Janet warned me
the water. She said it wasnt safe to drink.
11. Our neighbors complained
.the noise we made last night.
12. She accused me
13. I congratulated her
.winning the tournament.
14. He has a bodyguard to protect him
15. His parents dont approve
..what he does but they cant stop him.
16. I didnt have enough money to pay
Các bài viết liên quan: